ROANOKE RIVER LIGHTS
The Roanoke River Light Station was originally established on Albemarle Sound in 1835, when a three-masted sailing ship was converted into a light station, to help navigators find safe entrance into the Roanoke River. During the Civil War, it is believed that the ship was scuttled in an effort to stop the blockade runners. In 1866, a screwpile lighthouse was built to replace the earlier ship. However, that station was destroyed by fire later that year.
Its replacement light, built shortly after the fire, survived until 1885. The screwpile light was damaged when the Albemarle Sound froze over during a winter storm. When the ice began to melt, and flow with the river, it cut two sides of the pilings, causing one side of the station to become partially merged. A replica of this second light was built, and sits along the Roanoke River, in Plymouth, NC.
The current light was built in 1887, and was originally situated on Albemarle Sound, near the mouth of the Roanoke River, about six miles northeast of Plymouth, NC. The white, thirty-five foot, square wood tower was attached to a two-story keeper's house and housed a Fourth-Order Fresnel lens. It was deactivated in 1941, and in 1955, it was relocated to the town of Edenton, NC, and used as a private residence.
Return to the North Carolina State Page
Return to the: Alphabetical Listing or the Listing by States